Skip to main content

How Boosted made it impossible to replace Li-ion cells in it's Boosted Rev battery

 In my previous post, I documented a complete step-by-step guide on how to replace the Li-ion cells inside a dead Boosted Rev battery. This ended in a complete failure...

Boosted did everything to prevent a rebuild or replacement of it's battery, here's why:

1: Everything is glued

By everything, I mean everything. Even the screws are glued in place. You cannot use heat to loosen up the glue due to the presence of the Li-ion cells. Overheating a cell could trigger an exploding cell. The cells themselves are glued, the cables are glued in place.... 
I succeeded to tear everything down by having lots and lots of patience, having a Dremel and using chemical solvents to loosen up the glue. Even then, there is a ton of residue still present and the original casing is rendered useless because I had to slice it open from both sides.

2: Replacing cells 'locks' the BMS

As you may know, Li-ion cells are managed by a BMS (Battery Management System). This circuit board is responsible for keeping the voltage differences between the different cells to a minimum. Boosted developed their own, custom BMS. Apparently, this BMS registeres the values of the cells at all times. Whenever the values of these cells 'change' (meaning their current value doesn't match the last recorded value), the BMS 'locks' itself, making it completely useless.

There are some folks out there that succeeded in resetting the BMS, I have not been able to try that out.

3: You can't just make your own battery

Many of you have thought about this already: just make your own battery and plug it into the ESC. But the ESC won't accept power from just any battery. The Boosted BMS implements a CAN-bus that receives messages from the BMS to 'prove' that it is an original part (together with some metadata, such as SoC).

4: The CAN bus only activates with 'heartbeat' on Blue line

Even if you would create your own BMS that implements the CAN-bus (and sends the correct messages), the CAN bus on the Boosted ESC will remain in IDLE state until the ESC receives a (i presume), heartbeat on the blue wire. It seems that it is not just any heartbeat, and I have not been able to reproduce it. From what I can tell, it is a clock signal running at 50kHz. (This value could well be different because I do not own an oscilloscope with sufficient range to perform an accurate measurement).

What I do know for sure is that without a clearly defined clock pulse (starting up with a ramp of 40ms), the CAN bus will remain IDLE.

5: The CAN messages are not the same as on the Boosted Extended Range v2 battery

Beambreak was able to reverse engineer a couple of CAN messages to emulate a working battery, based on the extended range v2 battery, but the engineers at Boosted seem to have changed the CAN messages for its Boosted Rev scooter.
I have not been able to prove this theory, but chances are you will not be able to fulfil all sanity checks using the work Beambreak did.


So there you have it. In my opinion, Boosted over-engineered the Boosted Rev so much that, although it is a brilliant product, it has become absolutely un-repairable. This is unfortunate, as even a local store or workshop would be incapable of performing a repair.

Read my next Blog post about how I replaced the Boosted Rev insides by using a custom battery and a Stormcore ESC.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boosted Rev - Custom Battery (12s) + Stormcore ESC + ReVOLT! Dashboard

Boosted Rev Upgrade - The 'Wev' update - but different (Stormcore 60+, ReVOLT! Dashboard) If you have been reading my previous blogposts, you'll notice this is the third post in a series where I initially wanted to replace a dead battery on my boosted Rev. Here's a short recap: Although I am delighted in the build quality of the Boosted Rev, my battery died because of intensive use (which is to be expected after 500-800 charge cycles for any Li-ion battery) I tried to tear the battery down to replace the cells, only to have a locked and completely useless BMS. The cells however were new, so it would be a shame to throw those away Because the Boosted ESC requires an original working Boosted BMS, without my battery, the ESC will not boot up and my whole scooter is rendered useless I am absolutely delighted about the build quality of the Boosted Rev, this thing is SOLID! (and looks good being so). Between buying a new scooter and replacing the insides of the Boosted I chos

Boosted Rev Battery Teardown (and failure)

 Boosted Rev Battery Replacement - Teardown and and failure READ UPDATES! For downloads, refer to  https://github.com/MichaelCastiau/boosted-rev-battery-replacement UPDATE:   The rebuild of the original battery ended in a complete failure :( Boosted has made it absolutely impossible to even replace the Li-ion cells inside it's battery. Read dedicated article for more information. About 2 years ago, I bought a Boosted Rev scooter. A powerful, robust, reliable scooter that I use almost daily. Heavy usage, that is. I use it as I commute between home and work, when going for groceries, visiting friends... I am very impressed with the work the engineer team pulled off with this product. It has very smooth acceleration curves, feels very solid and I haven't had a breakdown.... until now. Over the course of the last year, the battery capacity has reduced drastically. I now have less than half the initial capacity. (Although it's sad to have less capacity, this is expected behaviou

Boosted Rev Custom Battery 3D Parts and build instructions (free!)

 I've been making custom parts for the defunct Boosted Rev for some time now. One part that I continuously get questions about is the battery. Considering many people end up with dead batteries, I put together two 3d-printable designs that allow for people to put together their own batteries with minimal effort. I made 2 designs: 370Wh battery, 12S3P 18650 cells. Original capacity, small size. Extra space for large/smart BMS. 1000Wh battery, 12S5P 21700 cells. Huge capacity but very large. Requires a small BMS to fit the VESC. 1kWh extended battery, packaged and ready Both designs are best printed in a water resistant, flexibel material, like PETG or ABS. If you wrap up the battery correctly in shrink wrap, the battery may be rendered waterproof using extra silicone or waterproofing tape. Needed: PETG, ABS or other watertight, flexible filament (it's important the filament is flexible, don't print in hard resin) 180mm or 200mm battery shrink wrap (available on Amazon or